International Jewish-Christian Bible Week
For more than forty years Jews and Christians from Germany, England and the Netherlands, from the USA, Israel and other countries, scholars and interested lay people, have come together at the Jewish-Christian Bible Week to study biblical texts against a background of the two traditions. Until 2003 it took place at the Hedwig Dransfeld Haus, Bendorf on Rhine, and since then in Haus Ohrbeck.
Bible Week 2018
The next Jewish-Christian Bible Week will take place from 29th July to 5th August 2018 / 17th to 24th Av 5778. Registration is open from February 2018.
If you are considering attending the Bible Week for the first time, please let us know your address in order to receive your application form:
Am Boberg 10
phone: +49 / 5401 / 336-35
fax: +49 / 5401 / 336-66
What’s more to learn about the Bible Week
The study groups in the morning address the issues raised by the texts, so that we can learn together. Jewish and Christian resource persons help with the text study, discussion and exchange of experience. All groups engage with the Hebrew text, but each has a different emphasis:
- Ia In-depth study of the Hebrew text
Group Ia works in a very concentrated way with the Hebrew text. This group is for people who possess a good level of Hebrew.
- Ib In-depth study of the Hebrew text – canonical approach
Group Ib works in a very concentrated way with the Hebrew text and explores its meaning with special reference to the composition and dramatic development of the book. This group is for people who possess a good level of Hebrew.
- II Jewish-Christian Bible study
Group II studies the biblical text from the perspectives of Jewish and Christian traditions. Various translations are used alongside the Hebrew text.
- III The biblical text and the contemporary world
Group III studies the biblical text with special reference to today’s world. Various translations are used alongside the Hebrew text.
- IV Bible text: interpretation and creative response through visual art
Group IV studies the biblical text from Jewish and Christian perspectives. Various translations are used alongside the Hebrew text. Then individuals interpret and respond to the text in a variety of materials in the Art Workshop (all ability levels).
Three lectures address the topic from Jewish and Christian perspectives or with insights from literature, art, psychology, etc. They will be given in English or German. A printed translation of the text is available.
The week of study includes a number of additional offerings arranged in smaller or larger groups:
- Speakers’ Corner: sessions offered by participants on topics broadly related to the Bible or Jewish-Christian dialogue
- Fringe: creative activities offered “on the fringe”
- a concert
- an afternoon excursion to interesting places in the area
- mutual invitation to attend all services
- personal encounters and free time
Free time Possibilities
- Haus Ohrbeck is situated in the foothills of the Teutoburger Wald. The delightful surroundings offer opportunities for walks.
- The city of Osnabrück with its many historical buildings and famous university can be reached easily by public transport.
- Please bring any musical instruments and music with you.
The glossary provides detailed information on issues and terms concerning the Bible Week:
- Keynote Lectures
- Speakers’ Corner
- Study Groups
- Texts in dialogue
- Religious Services at the Jewish-Christian Bible Week
- Psalm Reading
- Services on the Weekend
- Other services
Rabbi James Baaden London
Dr Annette Boeckler Zurich Institute for interreligious dialogue
Sister M. Sponsalis Flacke FSGM Papenburg
Revd Eva Hadem Magdeburg
Erik Koren Zeist
Kerstin Menzel Berlin
Nadine Schäfer M.A. Bad Ems
Rabbi Mark Solomon London
The Bible Week is organised by Haus Ohrbeck and Leo Baeck College London
Support comes from...
The Bible Week is grateful for the continued support of:
Continuing Education Programme
The Bible Week is approved as “Bildungsurlaub” (continuing education programme).
Bible Week 2018 to 2020
29th July to 5th August 2018 / 17th to 24th Av 5778
28th July to 4th August 2019 / 25th Tammuz to 3rd Av 5779
26th July to 2nd August 2020 / 5th to 12th Av 5780